New Year's & Winter 2006-7

A smart way to clean rugs!

New Year's Feast



A Soviet Era village Walmart





Raffi the kitty taking in direct heat from the wood stove. We will sleep with the hot rocks to stay warm.


The village water pipes froze. Neighbors came out to thaw one out with fire.

Astghik and Artur.

Little Erik. Erik is spoiled. Because if he gets too upset and cries too hard he starts hyperventilating and its very scary. Better just to spoil him. He's the man of the house anyway.


dOne doesn't need starch when drying clothes in the winter.



We do everything by the wood stove because anywhere else is just too cold.






The new year is celebrated by visiting friends and family and being visited by them.


Sona, in front, bakes our lavash for us. Here we are with her parents-in-law.

Roza and Astghik come to the city to stay with Sophia for a few weeks, as everything in the village has frozen-- even the water sources.

Typical Armenians-- certainly did not come empty handed. I asked if they were afraid I wouldn't feed them!

It was so cold outside they just hung out while I went to work.

They hung curtains for me.

And more curtains!

We start every day with Armenian coffee and a sweet thing.

I surprised them and took them out for a special concert.


Anna Mailyan, my favorite Armenian spiritual vocalist.

Roza, of course, insisted on doing all dishes that were to be done.

It was a great couple weeks together.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home