Sunday, January 21, 2007

Back Again to Pick Up Where I Left Off

Yet another departure from the Eugene Airport. Can anyone find my Mommy in the background?....waving til we can't see each other anymore...?....stepping back and back and back until the very last possible moment? She doesn't know this, but my eyes are always full of tears by this time at the top of that escalator, and then when I turn around and begin walking forward instead of backwards, the tears take their natural form and give in to gravity. I'm heading back to Armenia, stepping back on the path that was so exciting, fulfilling and enlightening, in so many ways. I'm hopeful of the possibilities that come with building on what I started-- the personal relationships, the language ability, the cultural understanding, and the career development.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Leaving again meant that I didn't make it across country to meet, in person, my first and only God Daughter, Afriyie Upija Owusu-Fordwouh, pictured below. I'm having to rely on photos to see her grow and change. I dream of seeing those captivating, gorgeous eyes in person when I get back, or perhaps she'll happen to be visiting the country of her parents and I can take a detour through Ghana on my way home!Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is what I came back to. Yerevan in early November, snow on the mountains in the distance, chilly, but comfortable when the sun was shining.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I've never been much of a city person, but Yerevan has grown on me. I never imagined living in one of these residential apartment buildings, but I am. I have a cozy apartment on only the second floor of a 5-6 story building, located on one of the most desirable corners in the city center. I love it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) it's not pictured below. :-)Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Despite having gotten used to the city, I still long to get out into the country. It's what I love about Armenia. It's what I fell in love with my second day here, a year and a half ago.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
There are historical treasures to be found in every landscape's fold, such as the old tiny monastery perched on this little hill above "Her-Her" Village. No, it's not pronounced her.;-)Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Co-Author of "Rediscovering Armenia," Raffi took us to a place none of us had ever seen or imagined. My first week back in Armenia, it was a great Welcome Home. Apres Raffi Jan!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting His sense of adventure and curiosity turned out to be a blessing for all of us, as we finally found the below monastery, a place Raffi had been wanting to see for years, and a place none of the rest of us even knew about (well at least Arevik and I).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Not only was I welcomed back in Armenia, but likewise in Tblisi, Georgia. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tblisi's Vernissage Market had many Armenian vendors, so Armenian language came in handy. I particularly liked the use of space on car hoods & rooves at this market.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Anything you could ever want, as long as it was readily available decades ago, is most likely available at the Vernissage Market.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting The weather was chilly. I'm enjoying Eastern style (I say that to avoid saying Turkish or Oriental, lest I upset anyone ;-) coffee after a big plate of khnkali (yummy Georgian dumplings).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ordinary scenes like the one below repeatedly caught my eye. Earthquake damage and physical deterioration made for a lot of structurally unsound homes (the worst of which aren't shown here).
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Inside these doors was a vacant home perched on a cliff (the view from the other side was great). The owner would like to renovate and rent. The conditions were unlivable, and among the few things that remained...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting were these old photos hanging on the wall. There was a time....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting ...Tbilisi was well populated by Armenians. Below is one of many Armenian churches. All that remains here are the burnt pages of thousands of books.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
But from a distance it looks like it could be a functioning church. Only a handful of the old Armenian churches in Tblisi ARE functioning.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That's a glimplse of Tblisi. More pictures of Armenia, particularly Getap Village and my dear friends from there are on the way. Reuniting with them was magical.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude you are in trouble, you get on a plane and you do not email before. Shame shame

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh - Forgot and you did not even think about going through Paris? Once again shame shame

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came upon your blog as I was searching Armenia Culture and thought this might interest you.

If you are in Los Angeles and are interested in great Armenian filmmaking, see "The Priestess," the new film by internationally acclaimed Armenian director, Vigen Chaldranian. It is screening this Friday February 23, 8:00pm at the Alex Theatre, Glendale with tickets selling fast.

The film premiered at Grauman's Chinese to a sell out crowd and is the first Armenian-American collaboration of such high calibre filmmaking. Chaldranian was joined on the red carpet by producing partners, Hollywood born Mel Metcalfe III and award winning designer Sahak Ekshian.

This film is very important, not only for the Armenian community, but to anyone fascinated with epic film making. This is Vigen Chaldranian's tour de force not to be missed. The storyline unfolds a woman's journey of honor, passion and loss...who just also happens to be a Pagan Priestess and a catalyst to Armenia becoming the first Christian nation.

But this film isn't a re-telling of old history, as Chaldranian takes his inspiration of the past to create a very contemporary piece. "The Priestess" is unique, told from a woman's perspective, to translate a universal message that every religion, sex and culture can understand.

Support Armenia by supporting this Armenian director and Armenian film!!

For more film, screening and ticket information and to view the trailer, please visit the official "The Priestess" Movie website:

http://www.thepriestessmovie.com/

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home